Fiona Hutton & Associates is looking for a highly-driven, innovative Vice President to join our Los Angeles-based agency. This position provides a unique opportunity to create winning communications and public affairs programs for blue chip clients, lead a passionate team of professionals and help grow one of California’s leading communications firms. Communications leaders thrive at FHA – there’s no dead end here.
This role is ideal for someone seeking a collaborative, fast-paced environment, fueled by a team of entrepreneurial-minded individuals. You will be on the frontline of high-profile issues, tackling new challenges and developing award-winning creative content, with an unparalleled opportunity to take your career to the next level.
Recognized as one of the nation’s top independent communications firms, Fiona Hutton & Associates specializes in advocacy, public affairs, crisis management, digital communications, media relations and stakeholder engagement. FHA consistently earns high marks in annual national rankings of public relations agencies, including 6th in PR Week’s list of Top 10 US Public Affairs agencies.
- Create and lead strategic communications and advocacy programs including earned, owned, paid and social media campaigns, coalition building and stakeholder engagement, corporate reputation initiatives, creative and digital programs and public affairs strategies
- Serve as primary client lead and strategic counselor for corporate, trade association and public agency clients involved in a wide range of issues, including natural resources, health care, energy, land use, manufacturing, etc.
- Lead and oversee development of communications materials such as strategic plans with associated calendars and budgets, messaging, digital content, infographics, press materials, web sites and written materials
- Manage account teams; establishing priorities, setting a standard and ensuring top-notch performance
- Develop and oversee client budgets, ensure accounts are staffed appropriately and operated within budget
- Generate a consistently high level of client satisfaction
- Drive agency culture and standard of excellence within FHA team
- Mentor, coach and train junior staff to promote career growth
- Meet established revenue targets
- Ensure account team billability
- Contribute to organic client growth and help lead new business generation, seeking and identifying opportunities, participating in proposal development and pitch meetings
- Foster key external relationships as an ambassador of FHA
- Expand FHA’s brand and reputation in key markets – Southern California and Sacramento
Skills & Abilities
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; articulate and able to communicate clearly and effectively with clients and external audiences
- Effective manager; able to look ahead, plan and drive execution of strategies
- Desire to inspire, coach and promote team members
- Adept at applying knowledge, ideas and turning insights into actionable strategies for clients
- Attention to detail
- Clear judgment and ability to identify and solve problems
- Ability to lead and thrive in a fast-paced environment, work under deadline and juggle multiple priorities
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in communications, public affairs, public relations or politics; direct experience in executing and managing advocacy and communications programs
- Prior experience working in an agency setting required
- Demonstrated knowledge and relationships within California’s political, policy and media landscapes
- Served as client lead, managing traditional and/or digital communications programs, advocacy campaigns, crisis management and earned, owned, paid and social media programs
- Experience managing teams, coordinating and managing junior and mid-level staff
- Understanding of agency financials; budget creation and management
- Demonstrable track record of success in a fast-paced, high stakes environment or on high-profile issues
This full-time position will be in the company’s Los Angeles office. Position will offer a competitive salary and benefits package.